The TV Thread

Love this one. Maybe my favorite Beatles album… The most off their heads anyway

1 Like

Anyone got a link to the episodes somewhere free? I’ve only seen a few clips on YouTube.

It’s an impossible choice though.

As a complete package I love the combo of Richard Hamilton, pop, psych and freak out on the white album.

Also Rain/Paperback Writer double A side. Fuck!

1 Like

Yeah ridiculous to try to choose one

3 Likes

Sgt Pepper for me, it’s the most concise and all great start to finish. Every other album has a couple of lower moments.

I played some of the trippy bits to a mate who always said he hated the Beatles. He said “is this the original? It’s not a remix or something?” Looked pretty stunned

Most people who dismiss the Beatles have heard VERY little of them.

1 Like

I’ve definitely heard every studio album, and quite likely every other official release of outtakes and b-sides.

That’s possibly why I dislike The Beatles, come to think of it.

You have not dismissed them though, you have a valid opinion based on knowledge.

1 Like

Anyone who hasn’t seen the Rutles, sort it out. Maybe better than Spinal tap

While my guitar gently weeps is an all time banger.

1 Like

“Banger” really having its meaning stretched there.

4 Likes

Hahaha, yeah probably not the word to describe that song.

It’s very good though.

2 Likes

I was watching an analysis of the Prince version last night. Thats a great version of it

I also really enjoyed the Rick Rubin/McCartney thing. I think the musicianship, when it comes to moving from beyond theory to actual bare-bones talent in creating melody and just feeling which chord progressions will work etc is something that I never saw discussed growing up.
It was always put forward as ‘working class lads save money to buy shit guitars and then just happen to write songs’ as if it was lucky, or a coincidence.

I guess that’s much the same way that people like to describe punk rock in the cliched ‘just play your shit instruments’ way, ignoring the fact that they’re writing their shit songs on 1959 les pauls and 2k drum kits.

Anyway, music documentaries are without doubt my favourite things to watch and I’m so stoked this has come out, showing how effortless it was for them to write these songs, but also how they really needed each other’s eye contact to validate their ideas. Great musicians with great ideas. Wouldn’t mind it if PMc had worked on beefing up his bass tone though.

Seeing Ringo drumming so much was a treat. Like him, I’m a left hander who plays drums right handed, but leads with the left - and it makes me quite shit. Glad it has no bearing on his skills.

What punk have you been listening to?

Dismissing a whole genre, decades of music from every corner of the world, as “shit songs” is the sort of textbook cluelessness you only get from people who love the Beatles and play an instrument.

:joy: it’s the romanticism of it all in that clichéd way people like to put it in documentaries

Punk in London is on one of the online channels. Mostly pretty cringey stuff, then X Ray Spex come on and it’s great

Succession. Holy shit, what a tv show.

1 Like